Latest Result: Thame United 3-2 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

AFC Portchester (0 - 2) Win City

on Mon 15 Dec

AFC Portchester 0 Winchester City 2

Still without top scorer Warren Bentley and a team selection hit by injuries and suspensions, City won this tight away fixture in some style, showing that the depth of their squad was built on a solid foundation.

The game at Wicor Recreation Ground on Saturday 13th December 2014 started at a frantic pace with both sides giving away the ball to the other until City settled into their rhythm and were the first to show as Chris Mason put Zach Glaspool through but his flick over the 'keeper flew just wide.

It was Glasspool who created the next opening feeding Geoff Dunn who put his angled shot across the 'keeper but just wide of the far post.

As City continued to press they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box which Glaspool forced the goalkeeper, Lloyd Thomas, into a good save.

McEnery swept the ball into the Portchester net after a run and cross from Dunn but he was given offside.

Portchester were not out of the game however and they caused the City defence some problems but not enough to call 'keeper Gareth Barfoot into action on many occasions. Scott Sampson was dominate in the air and Josh Green showed what a good signing he was showing a maturity whilst under pressure which belied his young age.

It looked as if Portchester would equalise when ex-City striker Jaimie Musselwhite was given a good chance to beat Barfoot in a one to one confrontation but he shot well wide.

With Dunn and Charlie Smeeton providing plenty of crosses from the flanks it looked as if it was only time before City found the net.

Just before half time City had two more chances to score, a shot from McEnery forced the 'keeper into a diving save and after a three-man move Ryan Holloway shot over the bar.

City stepped up a gear at the start of the second half Stuart Green, Chris Mason, Sampson and Adam Tomasso dominated midfield winning ball after ball during the next 45 minutes.

The decisive goal came in the 55th minute when Dunn ran down the wing and sliced a shot across the 'keeper into the far corner of the net.

City appealed for a penalty when the Portchester centre half appeared to have slapped Sampson across the face but the Referee did not see the incident.

Dunn then came close after another flanking move but Portchester hit back and Barfoot made two vital saves as they pushed forward.

Glaspool was rewarded for all his hard work in the 67th minute when he converted a cross from Dunn to put City two-up.

McEnery was replaced by Liam Robinson in the 91st minute but City were home and dry by then.

City: Gareth Barfoot, Ryan Holloway, Josh Green, Stuart Green, Scott Sampson, Adam Tomasso, Mike McEnery, Chris Mason, Zach Glasspool, Charlie Smeeton, Mike Hubbard, Liam Robinson, Ben Stanbrook, Callum Casson, Shaun Weetch.







Club sponsors