Latest Result: Thame United 3-2 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

AFC Stoneham 1 Winchester City 3

on Tue 3 Sep

Winchester progressed to the 1st qualifying round of the F A Cup with a 3-1 win against AFC Stoneham and will play Taunton Town at home in the next round. They had to pay 88 minutes with 10 men after Rob Carr was shown a straight red card.


Having last been to this ground when Pirelli General played there it was noticeable that with all the building work going on in the area access was very different and I arrived later than I had originally planned.


Winchester made one change to the starting line-up from Saturday with Simba Mlambo now returned from holiday coming in For Liam Gilbert who often finds midweek games difficult to manage.


However after 2 minutes Winchester were down to 10 men when Rob Carr caught Aaron Dunne who lost several teeth and suffered concussion, which required him to go to hospital;.  There seemed to be no intent on the part of Rob Carr and I was surprised to see the red card shown.  I will not say anything more about this incident, except to say that concern for the injured player was shown by both clubs and it is good that Dunne has been able to respond to the good wishes he has received.


Winchester took the lead in the 14th minute when Oli Bailey took advantage of hesitancy in the home defence and rounded the goalkeeper before slotting home.  After the both teams had their attacking moments with for Winchester Ollie Griggs and Oli Bailey having shots blocked and at the other end Matt Bainbridge forced a good save from Ryan Pryce and Callum Laycock also coming close.  Towards the end of the first half AFC Stoneham were enjoying a good spell of pressure and Winchester were relieved to score a second goal towards the end of the game's first period.


At the start of the second half Callum Laycock again came close for the home side, while Olli Bailey whose pace up front was always a threat to AFC Stoneham was denied by a good block by Ben Clarke.  Keith Emmerson keen to earn a tie against the club he served as player coach last season also got in some important clearances to keep the home team out.


AFC Stoneham pulled a goal back midway through the second half when Matt Palmer headed home a corner, although Ryan Pryce had earlier saved efforts that were easier to keep out than this one.  This goal though fuelled thoughts of yet another AFC Stoneham fight back against Winchester.


Simba Mlambo and Kieran Douglas forced saves from the home goalkeeper, but AFC Stoneham also came close on a couple of occasions, Winchester though made the game safe when Jamie Barron set up Ollie Griggs to score in the game's closing minutes.


In the second half Kieran Douglas, Joe Hayward and I K Hill came on as second half substitutes for Winchester.  The match attracted a good crowd considering Eastleigh were at home on the same evening.






Club sponsors