Cinderford Town 2-5 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Basingstoke 3 Winchester City 1

on Wed 8 Mar

Two goals from free kicks within four minutes of each other ended Winchester's hopes of reaching the Hampshire Senior Cup final for the second year running as Basingstoke won the right to play a young AFC Bournemouth team in the final.


With Jamie Barron and Olly Searle cup tied, Stuart Green ill and Danny Smith also not available Winchester made four changes to the starting line-up from Saturday with Adam Roberts, Dan King, Jack Hannam and IK Hill all starting.


Basingstoke apart from their captain David Ray who has made over 350 appearances for the club fielded mainly a young team.  They are currently in mid-table of the league above Winchester's and are managed by Terry Brown who has previously managed both Aldershot Town in the National League and AFC Wimbledon in the football league.


Winchester had a penalty shout turned down early on following a challenge on Joe Briggs, but they fell behind in the 7th minute when Marcus Johnson-Schuster crossed from the right for Charlie Kennedy to open the scoring.  During the first half Joe Briggs had a routine shot saved, Basingstoke had the better chances with both Kennedy and Aaron Jarvis having shots saved and Kennedy also putting in a cross that was cleared at the expense of a corner.


At half time Joe Hayward who had broken a leg earlier in the season made a welcome return to first team action and Winchester started the half with renewed vigour.  They drew level with an own goal from Johnson-Schuster in the 52nd minute although it was Craig Feeney who created the goal by putting the defender under pressure,  Howard Neighbour had a header saved and Alex Tokarczyk only just beat Joe Briggs to the ball.


Basingstoke however gradually began to get back in the game,  Jarvis broke clear on the right, but his effort was narrowly wide, while substitute nana Owusu showed his threat from free kicks when he forced a save from Noice following a long range effort.


In the 76th minute Ray headed home a free kick from Sam Deadfield and four minutes later Owusu scored with a superbly struck free kick, although shortly afterwards he was withdrawn from the fray.


Winchester also bought on Sam Wilson and Zach Kaiser as substitutes, but after the two goal burst Winchester never looked like getting back in the game.






Club sponsors