Latest Result: Thame United 3-2 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Burnham 1 - 4 Winchester City

on Tue 3 Nov

City's trip to the Gore, home of Burnham F.C. in Buckinghamshire on Monday 2nd November seemed doomed from the start but luckily the story ended on a happy note!. City's coach was late in picking up the team at the Denplan and on the journey got caught in a large accident traffic jam on the M40. Arriving late at the ground the team found the pitch covered in fog and the match in doubt.

After an inspection the Referee agreed to start,  spectators behind either goal could not tell what was going on at the end furthest from them.

City started strongly and early on a cross from Jake Newton beat the ''keeper but Zach Glasspool with the goal at his mercy tripped on the greasy grass and the chance was gone. Tazz Roberts then set up a chance for Warren Bentley but his shot was diverted wide.

In the 22nd minute Matt Benham slipped the ball to Bentley who pulled it to the back of the box where Glasspool hit a perfect first time shot into the back of the net.

Winchester continued to press and Benham again initiated a goal with a swinging cross to the unmarked Bentley at the far post and his header gave the 'keeper, Ben Hitchens, no chance (27th).

Burnham played some nice football but lacked any penetration and City's Brendan Norris was not overtly pressed (well at least those of us behind, the opposition goal did not think so, but we could not really see what went on in the City box!). City's defence and midfield never let Burnham settle and won ball after ball to break up their attacks.

Just before half time the Referee consulted his Assistant about the light but luckily they decided to play on.

The game was won in the 71st minute when Roberts worked his way along the flank, beat four defenders and cut in and scored a superb solo goal. Two minutes later he was rested to be replaced by Santefe Vivo.

Although Burnham were playing better in the second half they were not given many chances although Norris did bring off a good save, seen by all in the rapidly improving light.

Newton was replaced by Lewis Fenemore, making his debut for Winchester City in the 80th minute and two minutes later Bentley completed City's scoring when he dinked the ball over the advancing 'keeper.

The last few minutes belonged to Burnham who threw everything at City to try and get something out of the game. Norris made a diving save from a corner but in the 87th minute he was a little slow coming off his line, expected an offside decision which never came and allowed Tre Mitford to score from close range.

Attendance : 76








Club sponsors