Frome 2-0 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Fawley (0 - 4 ) Winchester City

on Sat 25 Oct

On Wednesday City were embarrassed by a defeat at Brockenhurst and were then hit by the resignation of their Managers, by Saturday the Club had a new management team in place and ran Fawley off the park to go through to the next round of the Sydenhams Wessex League Cup. Such is the resolution of the Club.


The new man in charge of the team, Paul Masters, made a few changes to the side. Also joining the club are former Romsey Town and New Milton duo Glenn Burnett and John McFarlane who assisted in leading Blackfield & Langley to the Sydenhams Premier title two seasons ago.

Only six minutes into the match City were hit by the lose of Charlie Smeeton who suffered a bad ankle injury and was replaced by Dominic Cope. As a result of the incident Fawley were awarded a free kick which was blazed over the bar.

City took the lead in the 8th minute when a cross from Adam Roberts was headed home of the post by Geoff Dunn and Winchester were on their way. The old passing game was back and City played some delightful football, especially in the second half.

Dunn nearly doubled his score when after a good run the 'keeper fumbled his shot away. In the 24th minute he got the goal. Several players were in a melee and with the 'keeper on the ground Dunn got his foot to the ball and poked it across the line.

Adam Tomasso nearly got his head to a corner with the open goal in front of him but the touch he needed was not there.

Goalkeeper Ross Casey was first called into action as he came off his line to clear in a rare Fawley attck after 28 minutes.

Zak Glasspool got on the scoresheet in the 31st minute when Dunn put a controlled pass into his path and he lifted the ball over the goalkeeper.

As Winchester continued to surge forward and a ball from Cope set up Joe Wright but he rather scuffed his shot and the 'keeper easily saved.

Early in the second half Glasspool slammed a great shot against the bar and then he rolled a ball across the box but there were no takers for the shot.

Chris Mason intercepted a Fawley clearance and put in a shot which was just wide.

The new Manager made his first tactical substitution in the 60th minute when Liam Green came on for Roberts. Green changed the play and was responsible for several penetrating balls before the end of the match,

A curving shot from Glasspool forced the Fawley 'keeper into a one-handed save and then he laid the ball offg ion the box for Dunn to shoot just wide.

Chris Mason came off in the 75th minute to be replaced by Chris Manning as City appeared to be settling for what they had achieved.

This was not to be and they achieved even more!.Glasspool won a tussle with the 'keeper and forced the ball out to Dunn who completed his hat trick with a delightful lob over the grounded 'keeper and Glasspool.

Although not really pressed the City defence played superbly with Luke Dempsey in particular stepping forward to control the play. He was well supported by Ryan Holloway and Joe Wright. Adam Tomasson is settling into the number five shirt.

The midfield got through a lot of work with Chris Mason deep in defence one minute and in the opposition box the next.

City: Ross Casey, Ryan Holloway, Joe Wright, Stuart Green, Adam Tomaso, Luke Dempsey, Adam Roberts, Chris Mason, Zach Glasspool, Charlie Smeeton, Ben Stanbrook, Liam Green, Chris Manning, Dominic Cope and Liam Robinson.

City are away to United Services Portsmouth in the next round of the Cup.









Club sponsors