Latest Result: Thame United 3-2 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Highworth Town 1 Winchester City 0

on Sun 25 Oct

For the second successive Saturday Winchester City were beaten by Highworth Town on a frustrating afternoon. Once again they were denied by an opposing goalkeeper in inspired form and had several near misses. Ashley Edenborough once again played an important part in proceedings even though he was on the pitch for 20 minutes, but he scored the decisive goal after an indirect free kick was passed to him. He scored with a great strike, but there wax considerable frustration in the Winchester camp that the free kick that led to the goal was awarded for a pass back, when it seemed that their player had won the ball fairly in a tackle and indeed goalkeeper Charlie Philpott picked up the ball in good faith.

Winchester made one change to the starting line-up from Tuesday with Charlie Philpott replacing Ryan Pryce in goal. They however noted that for Highworth Luke Kuczynski was in goal in place of the injured Connor Johns who was the hero of the previous week and Edenborough was on the substitutes bench.

Highworth went into this match having lost to Frome in midweek, but next week have an F A Trophy match against Swindon Supermarine i, having fortunately in a lot of people's eyes beaten us the previous Saturday.

Wet conditions made good football difficult, but in a goalless first half Winchester certainly had the better chances. A quickly taken free kick by Dan Bradshaw led to Ollie Balmer having a shot saved and from a ball by Rob Carr Tyrell Mitford shot narrowly wide. Balmer had an effort cleared off the line, Josh Davies headed just wide and both Balmer and McCormick both had efforts deflected for a corner. At the other end Philpott did not have more than routine saves to make,, although Sean Wood and Callum Parsons had efforts that were not far off target.
In the final 5 minutes of the half Kuczynski makes his best save of the half when he keeps out an effort from Rob Carr.

Although in the second half Highworth looked dangerous on the break Winchester were still in the ascendancy. Balmer sets up Miitford who shoots just wide, Mitford puts Carr, through, but Kuczynski makes another good save. At the other end Ollie Rejek sets up Leon Morrison whose shot is off target.

In the 70th minute Winchester having already replaced Josh Davies with Joe Hayward, bring on Graeme Purdy to replace Tyrell Mitford , and it is also around this time that Edenborough enters the fray.

Purdy is soon in the thick of the action. having a shot saved, while Rob Flooks also has a. header well saved and McCormick also shoots narrowly wide. At the other end Callum Parsons heads just over following a free kick from Sean Wood.

However the all important goal then came. In the exchanges that followed the awarding of the free kick Highworth's Rob Dean received a red card Perhaps realising that this was the best chance for the 10 men of Highworth to produce a goal Winchester put virtually everyone in the wall, but unfortunately Edenborough's effort was good enough to elude them all.

Clearly feeling a sense of injustice at the decision that led to the goal you could see the determination etched on the faces of the Winchester players as they tried to get back in the game.

Reece Rusher who hd come on as substitute and Ollie Balmer also force good saves from the Highworth goalkeeper and Jamie Barron has an effort deflected wide and on other occasions Highworth players get in crucial blocks. Highworth still look dangerous on the break at times and Sean Wood finds himself in a good position, but is unable to control the ball.. However despite Winchester's efforts they failed to score and suffered their second 1-0 defeat in the league this season






Club sponsors