Winchester City 1-3 CirencesterTown




Club Main sponsor

Hythe and Dibden 3 Winchester City 8

on Sat 21 Sep

Winchester came from two goals down to beat Hythe and Dibden 8-3 in the Hampshire Senior Cup and reach the last 16 of the competition.  Although I can recall on two occasions one of them this season of a team coming back from 3-0 behind to win 7-3 it is the first time I can recall  a team scoring eight rimes having gone two goals behind.  Winchester in fact had not scored either in their previous two games or their two previous Hampshire Senior Cup.

Hythe and Dibden are in the Sydenham's Wessex League Division 1 where they are performing well, but have now gone out of three major cup competitions in eight days having lost to Kidlington in the F A Cup (a tie our own George Spencer would probably have liked to see them win) and to AFC Portchester in the F A Vase.

Winchester gave starting berths to goalkeeper Harry Birchnall, Joe Hayward, Kieran Douglas and I K Hill who have been mostly on the substitutes bench n recent weeks.  After coming close to scoring in the early stages of the game with Ollie Balmer twice and Simba Mlambo forcing saves from the home goalkeeper they conceded goals in the 26th and 34th minutes to go 2-0 behind.  The first goal coming when Birchnall saved Sam Woodward's initial shot, but only managed to palm the ball back into Woodward's path and the home player scored with the follow up.  Tom Switzer scored the second following a corner.

However goals by Simba Mlambo, Jamie Barron from the penalty spot and Ollie Balmer gave them a 3-2 interval lead.  Mlambo scored with a well struck low shot from just outside the area when a corner was cleared unto his path.  Barron's penalty which he converted came when the ball was played into the box and seemingly handled by a Hythe and Dibden player.  Balmer's goal at the end of the half came when he got a decisive touch to a cross from the right.

In the second half Danny King made it 4-2 when the home goalkeeper was able to get his hands to his powerfully struck effort, but could not prevent it entering the net.  Max Smith who had come on substitute made it 5-2 when he converted  a cross from the right from Dan Williamson.  Mlambo made it 6-2 with a header at the near post  Oli Bailey made it seven after coming on substitute and after several blocks the ball eventually fell to him on the left hand side and he scored at close range from a narrow angle.

I K Hill made it 8-2 when he headed home Oli Bailey;s cross and Christos Papakonstantinou's goal in which he scored with a right foot shoot from the left hand side was only a consolation.,

Winchester's home league match with Highworth originally due to be played this SAturday, but postponed due to Highworth's F A Cup involvement has now been rearranged for Tuesday 22nd October.

In the second half goals from Dan King, Max Smith, Simba Mlambo, Oli Bailey and I K Hill meant they led 8-2 with 10 minutes to go before the home team scored a late consolation goal.






Club sponsors