Latest Result: Thame United 3-2 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Larkhall Athletic 1 Winchester City 2

on Sat 14 Jan

Winchester bounced back from Wednesday's defeat at Evesham by winning 2-1 at Larkhall, a result which moves the Citizens back into 8th position.  With manager Ian Saunders away Jason Hampson took charge of the side which saw two changes to the starting line-up  from Wednesday with Matt Evans and Stuart Mott replacing Robbie Matthews and Matt Jenkinson.  New signing from Petersfield  Olly Searle was on the bench.


Larkhall's ground is at the top of a hill and the pitch contains a significant slope, but Winchester made an excellent start when in the 3rd minute Craig Feeney broke clear on the left and set up Howard Neighbour whose effort went in off the post.


Stuart Green then had a shot saved, but Feeney again broke clear, but this time his effort was just off target.  Adam Roberts also forced a save from Chris Humphries, with Larkhall's first effort of note was a free kick from Jamie Lyons which went narrowly wide.


However in the 24th minute Joe Briggs put Craig Feeney clear with an excellent through ball and the in-form striker scored with a low shot into the opposite corner.  Winchester's two goal lead did not last long as Ben Brooks stole in to get on the end of a cross from Lyons.


Larkhall had a great chance to level the scores when James Stinson rounded goalkeeper Lewis Noice who had a loan spell with Larkhall last season, but having done the hard work he shot wide when an on target effort would have produced a goal.  Before half time Larhall's Joe Tumelty and Winchester's Craig Feeney forced saves from the respective goalkeepers.


In the second half although Adam Roberts had a shot saved by the goalkeeper's legs and Winchester forced the odd goalmouth scramble Larkhall created half chances through Stinson, Tumelty and Lyons, but although the home side's shooting was at times powerful their efforts were off target.


Winchester's Matt Evans was then given his second yellow card, but as the half progressed even with only 10 men Winchester looked increasingly likely to hold on and they kept the ball well at times during the closing minutes of the game.  Searle and Jason Silver came on as substitutes during the second half.


After Tuesday's Hampshire Senior Cup game at Sholing Winchester are at home to Bideford on Saturday.









Club sponsors