Cinderford Town 2-5 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Win City (4 - 3) Winchester Castle

on Thu 20 Nov

The eagerly awaited local derby North Hants Senior Cup quarter final took place at the Denplan Stadium on Wednesday 19th November 2014 with Winchester City given a shock by their neighbours Winchester Castle who at one stage looked to have been the likely winners of the tie.  City did not take the lead until the last kick of the match.

City treated the match as a First team fixture and fielded a side of regular first teamers, squad players and reserves.

In the first 10 minutes it looked as if City would over run Castle. A cross by John Borg just evaded Liam Robinson as they opened up the Castle defence but in their first attack of the game Castle came right back and scored the opener through Tom Johnson who got in a powerful shot as City failed to clear their lines.

A Robert's header looked to have put City back on terms but the keeper made a good save.

In the 18th minute Castle went two-up when City lost the ball in midfield and Callum Holloway found himself in space to crash a shot past Ross Casey.

After this second setback City again got on top with Geoff Dunn and Tazz Roberts prominent up front but they could not force a goal as the Castle defence played well under the pressure.

City got back in the game in the 40th minute when Dunn headed home from close range. A few minutes later he was brought down in a terrible foul by Zach Pickett and to the surprise of most in the ground he only received a yellow card from the Referee for the offence.

This incident backfired on Castle, however, because the Referee allowed extra time and in the 46th minute City equalised. Roberts worked his way into the box and put in a shot which was hand balled and the Referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty which Dunn cooly tucked away.

Early in the second half City's Borg limped of with an injury to be replaced by Rian Nima-Otereo.

It looked as if City were going ahead when Robinson put in a good header from a cross which beat the 'keeper but went just wide. He had another chance a few minutes later and saw a diving header hit the Castle post.

In the 75th minute Castle were awarded a penalty which they converted to great celebrations.

With both sides going for the win the game developed into a feisty affair but City always looked to have the edge. In the 80th minute Roberts was withdrawn to be replaced by Matt Boast.

In the 85th minute Dunn completed his hat trick with a great individual effort to allow City to draw level again and he looked to have won the match with a free kick but this brought out a brilliant save from Dan Chapman in the Castle goal.

Well into injury time , extra time seemed on the cards until Robinson popped up in the 94th minute to power home the winner with the last kick of the match.

City: Ross Casey, Lee Hayes, Callum Cassom, Stuart Green, Ben Stanbrook, Mike Miller, Adam Roberts, Ryan Sanger, Liam Robinson, Geoff Dunn, John Borg, Darren Nicholson, Rian Nima-Otero, Mat Boast and Dean Smith.







Club sponsors