Cinderford Town 2-5 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Win City (5 - 2) Follands Sports

on Sat 21 Feb

Winchester City 5 Follands 2

City made a brilliant start to a crucial week in their bid for Southern League football at the Denplan Stadium on Tuesday night, 17th February 2015. In a cracking game of football, Follands matched City in the first half but could not stay with them in a blistering second.

Winchester showed their intent early when Danilo Cadete put in a run and a cross which Geoff Dunn headed just over the bar. In the next attack Dominic Cope sent Dunn away but his shot was hacked clear of the Follands penalty box.

City were awarded a free kick which Zack Glasspool took from about 20 yards outside of the box. It looked a goal all the way but Follands 'keeper Matius Steinbourne brilliantly tipped over the bar.

It was on the half hour that the breakthrough came. Glasspool held of a defender as he burst into the box and when well placed he unselfishly rolled the ball to Dunn who lashed it into the the net.

Within minutes Follands hit back, pacey Ryan Long found himself clear by Gareth Barfoot pulled of a diving save. A similar move in the next attack saw the same result with Barfoot again saving a goal-bound shot.

Just before half time Cadete again worked his way down the flank and laid on a chance for Glasspool and his flick forced another good save from the Follands 'keeper.

Ten minutes into the second half City were forced into a change when Dunn limped off to be replaced by Liam Robinson.

Winchester had obviously set out their plan for the second half, by giving Follands no time on the ball and as the half progressed the midfield of Jamie Thoroughgood, Luke Dempsey, Chris Mason and Micky Hubbard won tackle after tackle. Hubbard in particular had a superb game dominating possession and moving forward with determination.

As City pressed foward Warren Bentley had a good chance to increase City's lead but shot way over the bar. Despite being well on top City found themselves on even terms in the 61st minute when they failed to defend a free kick and Culllum Brockway equalised from close range.

Two minutes later City were back in the lead when Cadete put in the perfect cross and Bentley rose to flick home with his head. Another two minutes later Follands were back in the game! Long again found himself unmarked and he rounded Barfoot for the equaliser (65th minute).

From then on their was only one winner. Adam Tomasso caused havoc with a run down the wing only for his cross to be headed away with Bentley and Robinson moving in. Cope, on the other flank, opened the door with a cross which Glasspool headed home after pulling clear at the far post (70th minute).

It was Glasspool again in the 73rd minute who made the points safe after Cadete and Bentley had combined well to give him the chance.

Cadette was given a rest in the 74th minute being replaced by Stuart Green.

Robinson put in a good shot which the 'keeper did well to push for a corner. From the corner Follands conceded a penalty which Bentley dispatched to put the icing on the cake (78th minute).

With ten minutes remaining Glasspool was also given a rest and Dayrll Phillips took his place.

With minutes left further chances fell to Bentley, Robinison, Green and Phillips but the scoring for the night was over.

City: Gareth Barfoot, Adam Tomaso, Dominic Cope, Mikcy Hubbard, Jaimie Thoroughgood, Luke Dempsey, Danilo Cadete, Chris Mason, Zack Glasspool, Warren Bentley, Geoff Dunn, Stuart Green, Liam Robertson, Callum Casson, Ryan Holloway and Daryll Phillips.






Club sponsors