Cinderford Town 2-5 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 0 Bideford 0

on Wed 1 Mar

Winchester drew at home for the first time this season and another first was their first goalless drew of the season.  However the result did little assist either side's remote chance of the playoffs.  Prior to this season the clubs had met previously in the semi finals of the F A Vase in 2004.


With Howard Neighbour injured and Danny King injured in the warm up, Winchester bought back into their defence Adam Roberts returning from suspension, Leigh Mills returning to the club and Jamie Ford into their defence with Olly Searle dropping to the bench and other positional changes being made.


Early on Lewis Noice had to rush from his goal to keep out Stewart Downing,  Billy Tucker then broke clear of the Winchester defence, but scuffed his shot wide, while Jamie Barron headed off the line an effort from Kevin Squire.


However after Bideford were the better team in the early stages Winchester improved as the half progressed.  Craig Feeney almost nipped in to meet a cross from Mills, but the best effort was a beautifully struck free kick from Andy Jenkinson hich hit the post and somehow stayed out.  They also came close at the end of the half.


However the visitorts started the second half brightly and forced Winchester on the defensive for large periods of the half.  Downing had a diving header saved, Noice made a good save from Tucker tipping his effort round the post for a corner, and Downing had another good chance, but his effort was narrowly off target as was an effort from substitute Ben Watson.  The Winchester defence with Leigh Mills outstanding also made some important blocks.  


Winchester also introduced all three substitutes with Nick watts coming on for his debut when he replaced Joe Briggs in the 61st minute.  The nearest we came to a Winchester goal n the 2nd half was when Feeney had a shot saved and the follow up shot blocked.


However if any side deserved to win it was Bideford who always looked dangerous when they broke down the right flank during the game's second period.






Club sponsors