Frome 2-0 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 0 Cinderford 3

on Sat 28 Sep

Winchester went into Saturday's game with Cinderford having won three and drawn two of the five league matches played between the clubs at the Simply Health stadium, but this record came to an end as three first half goals enabled Cinderford to achieve a 3-0 win having two weeks ago beaten Basingstoke 2-1 on this ground.


After Tuesday's fine win at Mangotsfield  manager Craig Davis wanted to field an unchanged starting line-up, but one change was forced upon him with Danny King unavailable new signing from Gosport Borough Luke King came into the team taking Danny's left back slot despite being naturally right footed.


Cinderford who reached the playoffs last season even if the rules that were in place meant that they would not have been promoted even if they had won these and went into this match with 10 points from 6 matches.


Early on Cinderford gave notice of their intentions with a powerful strike by Josh Hunt going just over and the same player heading just wide from a corner and another effort just wide.  Cinderford took the lead in the 13th minute when Craig Norman got on the end of a cross from the left by James Harding.  it became 2-0 when a run and a cross from Sam Turl on the right hand side was converted by Harding and it was 3-0 in the 33rd minute when Josh Hunt scored with a lob from distance.  Although Simba Nlambo, and Ollie Balmer had efforts blocked and Dan Williamson going on a couple of good runs Winchester really struggled to create anything of note in the first half.


At the interval Liam Gilbert came on for Dan Williamson and Winchester switched to three at the back  with King moving to right back, Joe Hayward being pushed further forward and Liam Gilbert although in midfield playing deeper than usual.


The home team tried hard to get back in the game.  From a corner Luke King forced a save from the Cinderford goalkeeper with his header from a corner and Ollie Balmer putting in a cross that no-one could get a decisive touch to.  Robbie Flooks got in a firm header from Jamie Barron's free kick, but could not quite get it on target and Oli Bailey shot over.


Winchester however never really tested the Cinderford goalkeeper Andrew Hannah although they had a couple of further efforts blocked and bought on I K Hill as substitutes.  Cinderford though became the closest to scoring a goal in the second half with substitute Ethan Moore hitting the woodwork and Marley Thomas having a couple of good chances,






Club sponsors