Frome 2-0 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 0 Hartley Wintney 0

on Sun 14 Oct

Winchester went out of the Hampshire Senior Cup, a competition they had reached the final once and the semi final twice in the last three seasons.  They lost on penalties to a Hartley Wintney team, one division above themselves having been promoted last season.  It was Winchester's third penalty shoot out defeat this season and their second in the last week.


Winchester made two changes to the starting line up from Saturday with Jamie Barron returning from suspension and Brett Cunningham coming in for Joe Cook and Rob Carr with the first named being listed amongst the substitutes.


Early ion Reece Rusher shot just wide for the home team, while Jamie Barron forced Adam Desbois to save at the expense of a corner.  At the other end Jack French shot wide following good work by Hartley Eintney captain Nic Ciardini.


Desbois made a good save from Mlambo, while Joshua Webb (not Neil Webb's son Josh) took the free kicks and from one of them Jack Ball headed wide.


Mlambo saw the goalkeeper out of position and tried to lob him, but his effort was just off target.


The first half was relatively even, but Winchester certainly had the better of the second half.  They almost scored following a goalmouth scramble and Barron forced a good save from Desbois.


Winchester were desperately unlucky to score when Cook hit the bar and forced

another good save from Desbois.  Apart from one cross that went across the goal Winchester were very much in the ascendancy now and Desbois made another good save to keep them out.


Tyrell Mitford was fouled by Desbois and took the penalty kick himself, but once again the away keeper kept the ball out of the net, with the follow up effort being cleared off the line.


Pryce in the Winchester goal was finally called into action in the second half, but he was able to keep Claudio Herbert's effort out.  Oli Bailey came on as substitute late in the game and on one occasion he broke clear of the visitors defence, but as the keeper moved forward to try and cut him off Oli tried to lob him, but the keeper was able to reach the lob.


With the score 0-0 after 90 minutes the game went straight to penalties and the first 13 spot kicks were all converted, but Winchester missed their seventh to lose the shoot out 7-6 and were desperately unlucky to go out of the competition.






Club sponsors