Frome 2-0 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 1 Hartley Wintney 1 (Hartley Wintney win on penalties)

on Wed 6 Oct

Winchester's league cup tie with a Hartley Wintney team one division higher than themselves was like the match between the clubs in the Hampshire Senior Cup three years ago settled on penalty kicks with Hartley Wintney again victorious. This time the score was 1-1 after 90 minutes with Max Smith scoring a goal with a header following a Jamie Barron cross after Toby Raggett had given Hartley Wintney a 79th minute lead following a free kick being played short and a cross put inti the box.

Winchester fielded virtually a full strength team with their starting line-up reading Philpott, McCormick, King, Bradshaw, Flooks, Douglas, Smith, Barron, Bailey, Balmer and Feeney. Hartley Wintney fielded many of their regular first team players and were captained by the experienced Nathan Smart, but their experienced strike force of Ben Wright and Sam Argent were rested. However the match also provided some of Hartley's other squad members a chance to
demonstrate their talents and they certainly looked lively up front.

Winchester made a bright start to the game with Oli Bailey Craig Feeney forcing a save from the visitors goalkeeper and Oli Bailey putting in a cross that no-one could get on the end of. However although both teams had their attacks in the first half Hartley Wintney came the closest to scoring in the half with Charlie Philpott in the Winchester goal making a good save from Raggett and both Neil Wylie and Raggett hitting the cross bar.

The second half was a very open game and it was surprising it remained goalless for so long, but it has to be said that although Winchester looked threatening on occasions Charlie Philpott was the busier goalkeeper and he made some good saves during the second half, with Raggett having a couple of efforts saved and also shooting just wide on a couple of other occasions. Ollie Balmer also had a shot saved at the other end, while Craig Feeney shot over as Winchester kept the
visitors defence on their toes. In the second half Alex Haynes replaced Kieran Douglas.

The penalty shoot out saw Hartley Wintney score their first three spot kicks, but when they converted their fourth spot kick after Hartley Wintney had missed their third and fourth penalties they were back in it, but the visitors converted their fifth spot kick to win the shoot out 3-1 and ensure that last season's Hampshire Invitation Cup winners progress to the next round.

Manager Craig Davis was despite the disappointment of losing was able to identify some positives from the encounter. He described them as a lively side and respected what they had achieved in recent seasons. Hartley Wintney also bought a sizeable contingent of fans to the match.

There is no first team match on Saturday as all other teams in Winchester's division are in F A Trophy action, but on the following Tuesday the Winchester youth team who beat Alton in the previous round are at home to Saltash in the F A Youth Cup.






Club sponsors