Cinderford Town 2-5 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 2 Cinderford 0

on Sat 27 Jan

The last there matches between Winchester and Cinderford had finished all square, but Winchester won this encounter 2-0 with a goal in each half in what manager Craig Davis described as a "solid performance in which we well worked as a team with central defender Josh Harfield the stand-out performer".


Cinderford who were relegated from the Premier Division last season having finished champions the previous season were just below mid-table, ands had earlier in the season only drawn with Winchester despite having a two goal half time lead.


Winchester made one change from Tuesday's game with Alresford with Simba Mlambo replacing Joe Hayward who dropped to the bench with Dan Williamson reverting to right back.


Early on Rob Carr created a half chance for Oli Bailey whose effort was saved by Joe Perry in the visitors goal, while Andy Jenkibson put in a croos that no-0one could get on the end of.  However Winchester did take the lead in the 13th minute when after Perry tipped over an effort from Liam Gilbert, from the resulting corner Gilbert got the decisive touch to Carr's delivery.


The Winchester defence was working well as a unit and with light rain causing slippery conditions throughout the game they made some important interceptions to keep the visitors out.


Cinderford though had a great chance to draw level before the break when after Ryan Pryce had made a good save to deny Lewis Bamford in his efforts to stop the same player following up he was adjudged to have bought down the Cinderford forward, but the Winchester goalkeeper made a good save from Bamford's spot kick.  Slightly ironically in the corresponding match two years ago Warren Bentley missing a penalty caused Winchester Director of football Dave Malone still away in India to try his luck at taking penalty kicks after the game.


Although Cinderford did force Winchester to defend deeply at tines, Rob Carr came close to adding a second, while a cross from Andy Jenkinson had to be intercepted at the expense of a corner as Winchester ked 1-0 at the interval.


Early in the second half good play by Bailey set up Mlambo whose effort was well off target.  At the other end Jenkinson made an important interception to keep Cinderford out. 


Both goalkeepers were then called into action with Perry making a good save from Carr.  Perry also saved from Cox and just did enough to prevent Oli Bailey following up to score.


Winchester did however make it 2-0 in the 63rd minute when Pat Cox converted a cross from Bailey.


Shortly afterwards there was a 25 minute delay when Cinderford player Dan Clare collided with his own player and suffered a bad knee which led to an ambulance being called, Dan Clare collided with his own player and suffered a bad knee injury which led to play being delayed for 25 minutes while an ambulance was called, with everyone wishing him a speedy recovery.


After the resumption Winchester who bought on Joe Hayward for Williamson always looked comfortable and Mlambo forced a further save from Perry.


This was a great result for manager Davis who had turned down an approach from s fellow Southern League club and seen his team move up to 6th in the table.


Winchester are away to Kidlington on Wednesday and away to Mangotsfield on Saturday.






Club sponsors