Winchester City 1-3 CirencesterTown




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 2 Farnborough 0

on Wed 9 Oct

Winchester progressed to the next round of the league cup with a comfortable 2-0 win against Farnborough, I K Hill gave us the lead on the stroke of half time having a few minutes earlier forced a good save from the Farnborough goalkeeper and Jack Francis made the game safe in the 81st minute when a corner was not cleared,

Winchester made six changes to the starting line-up from Saturday, Captain Jamie Barron, Ollie Balmer, Kieran Douglas and Joe Hayward were rested and were at the game with the last named having seemingly recovered well from his injury on Saturday, Rob Flooks was out injured and goalkeeper Ryan Pryce was ion the bench. Harry Birchnall was bought in as goalkeeper, Dan Williamson and Dom Panesar-Dower were promoted from the bench, Oli Bailey and Luke King were recalled and Jack Francis the scorer of the second goal also started.

Farnborough who play in the Premier Division and are managed by Spencer Day, better known as Spencer Trethewy who once appeared on the Terry Wogan programme in conjunction with his involvement with Aldershot had several players unavailable with the match arranged at short notice, a factor which meant that the crowd of 62 and only fielded two regular first team players.

Winchester made a bright start to the game and nearly scored in the opening minute with an effort following a corner being just off target and Jack Francis, Simba Mlambo, Dom Pansear- Dower and I K Hill all came close in the early stages, Farnborough's Nirajan Khadka also came close for the visitors, but apart from that and a free kick that Birchnall was comfortably able to save they did not offer much as an attacking threat during the first half. Winchester were very much controlling the game, but they did not really trouble Jacob Lear in the Farnborough goal until the 40th minute when Oli Bailey set up IK Hill whose shot was well saved by Lear. However right at the end of the half Dom Panesar-Dower made a good run and cross which led to an effort being blocked and I K Hill being on hand to score.

Winchester continued their dominance into the second half and early in the half it was the turn of player manager to Craig Davis to be narrowly off target. Simba Mlambo was also agonisingly close to scoring on a couple of occasions and Jack Francis had a shot saved by Lear. However much though Winchester were creating the better chances you sensed that they needed a further goal especially when Joshua Hooks forced Birchnall to make his first save of note.

The second goal did come in the 81st minute when after a corner was not cleared and Jack Francis was on hand to score. After that Farnborough never looked like getting back in the game.
In the second half Winchester introduced Ewan Haylor and Kyle Saunders as substitutes. and Haylor came close to scoring on one occasion.






Club sponsors