Winchester City 1-3 CirencesterTown




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 2 Highworth 2

on Wed 5 Feb

For the second successive season Highworth';s visit to Winchester resulted in the match finishing all square. Winchester were without defenders Keith Emmerson and Danny King and with Luke King still injured player manager Craig Davis took Emmerson's place at centre back, while Joe Hayward filled the left back position. Simba Mlambo came in for Ollie Balmer who dropped to the bench as the only other change from Saturday.

Highworth managed by former Basingstoke central defender Ross Adams and club legend John Fisher were only able to name three substitutes. However they came into this match having beaten Basingstoke 4-2 on Saturday.

The first 20 minutes did not produce much goalmouth action with virtually all the shooting off target with Highworth's Sam Morris coming the closest, but Winchester took the lead in the 21st minute when Jamie Barron';s ball found Oli Bailey who struck the ball away following the first meaningful attack of the game Highworth did draw level in the 34th minute when Matt Cheetham set up Calllum Mcghee-Parsons and the former Swindon-Supermarine player scored with a well struck shot. In the minute of added on time Winchester surrendered possession and Edjidja Mbunga cross from the right enabled Mcghee-Parsons to score his second. It was the third successive home match in Winchester had trailed at the interval.

In the second half Connor Johns in the Highworth goal made a good save to deny Kieran Douglas, but although Winchester were getting a few free kicks in dangerous positions they were finding Highworth difficult to break down and the visitors were dangerous on the break with Mcghee-Parsons coming close again and their wingers were keeping the Winchester defence on their toes.

Winchester introduced three substitutes with Balmer, I K Hill and Dom Panesar-Dower all entering the fray at various stages of the second half . but it was not until the 82nd minute when they drew level when Jamie Barron converted a penalty awarded for hand ball against Ryan Morgan. Highworth's :Leon Morrison received a straight red card for a late tackle, but although Winchester applied a lot of pressure in the closing minutes with Dan Comer making a goal line clearance to deny Balmer and deflecting another effort for a corner, but with a man advantage Winchester could not find the winner with the teams being evenly matched over the 90 minutes.






Club sponsors