Frome 2-0 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 3 AFC Stoneham 4

on Thu 7 Mar

Winchester were beaten 4-3 by AFC Stoneham in the Southampton Senior Cup semi final played at Hamble Club. 

Last season's Russell Cotes Cup finalists AFC Stoneham are3 developing a habit of giant killing and Winchester were the seventh club from a higher level that they have beaten this season and the third in the Southampton Senior Cup. These cup heroics include an F A Cup success against Westfield who currently occupy a playoff position in a league at the same level as Winchester.


The two teams would have met in this season's F A Cup had AFC Stoneham beaten Cirencester, but despite their F A Cup heroics it was further cup frustration who went out of three cup competitions at the first hurdle on penalty kicks and for the second time exited a competition after a game in which they held the league three times.


Winchester made two changes to the starting line-up from Saturday with Rob Carr returning and Tyrell Mitford starting.  Jake Rawkins dropped to the bench and Liam Gilbert did not feature.


Winchester took the leads in the 20th minute when Joe Hayward set up Oli Bailey who followed up to score after the goalkeeper had saved his initial effort.  Five minutes later Simba Mlambo hit the side netting, while Joe Cook headed over following a Jamie Barron corner.  However former Winchester City striker Zach Glasspool levelled the scores with an effort from the edge of the box and although Simba Mlambo came close to restoring Winchester's lead it was 1-1 at the interval.


Jake Rawkins who had come on for Tyrell Mitford shot wide for Winchester and shortly afterwards player manager Craig is replaced captain Jamie Barron.


Winchester did however regain the lead eight minutes into the second half when Simba Mlambo headed home a cross from Jamie Barron.  A minute later Ryan Pryce in the Winchester goal made a good save to keep AFC Stoneham out.


AFC Stoneham drew level with a second goal that Zach Glasspool will claim although many people will regard it as a Danny King own goal.  Winchester however quickly restored their lead with Oli Bailey scoring following a one on one with the goalkeeper.


AFC Stoneham though showed their resilience by again drawing level this time through Sergio Caballero who scored shortly after coming on to replace Zach Glasspool.


Although Mlambo shot over for Winchester in the 3rd minute of added on time a set piece resulted in Ben Clarke heading home although the ball was deflected in by Joe Hayward.  It was the first time AFC Stoneham had led all evening, but that will be of little consolation for Winchester who have now to concentrate on the league. while the never say die AFC Stoneham who will go second in their league if they win their games in hand have a cup final to look forward to.






Club sponsors