Cinderford Town 2-5 Winchester City




Club Main sponsor

Winchester 3 Moneyfields 1

on Wed 4 Mar

Winchester's first home match for four weeks saw them achieve their first league win since mid-January and achieve their first double of the season and move up to fifth. Prior to Tuesday the last four matches between them and Moneyfields had all been won by the away team without the home team scoring, but the 3-1 victory ended that sequence.

Winchester welcomed back Keith Emmerson and Danny King from injury and there was no doubt that the Winchester defence was able to get in some crucial blocks., With Ollie Griggs having rejoined Dorchester and Liam Gilbert unavailable for midweek matches Craig Davis came into the midfield. Simba Mlambo was working and the bench also contained Pat Cox who has recently returned to the club.

Moneyfields who are currently in the lower half of the table despite reaching the playoffs last season were without one of their most influential players in Steve Hutchings who is currently serving a two match suspension.

The start of the game saw neither goalkeeper have to make a serious save. However Winchester took the lead in the 19th minute when Ollie Balmer headed home a cross from the right from Rob Carr. The closing minutes of the first half Ryan Pryce save a long range shot at the expense of a corner, while Winchester had a couple off chances to increase their lead, but Moneyfields did just enough to keep them out and it was 1-0 at the interval.

Winchester bought on Pat Cox for Rob Carr at the start of the second half, but early in the half Moneyfields forced several corners. However it was 2-0 in the 59th minute when following a corner the ball was crossed back in and Oli Bailey was on hand to score.

Bailey was replaced by I K Hill and soon after coming pm the winger won possession in his own half before having a shot from outside the area which the Moneyfields goalkeeper would have been disappointed not to keep out.

Dan Wooden pulled a goal back when he followed up after Pryce had saved an additional shot, but Winchester were able to hold on to their two goal advantage.






Club sponsors