Winchester City 1-3 CirencesterTown




Club Main sponsor

Winchester City 2 Bishops Cleeve 1

on Sun 12 Nov

Having surrendered leads in the final 8 minutes of their last three home matches it was Winchester's turn to score a late goal as they returned to winning ways with a 2-1 win against a Bishops Cleeve side who although bottom of the table had showed improved form in recent weeks.


Winchester made two changes to the starting line-up from Saturday's game at Cinderford with Rob Flooks replacing the suspended Josh Harfield in central defence and I K Hill replacing Dan King who was on the bench with Andy Jenkinson filling the left back role.


Winchester started brightly with Pat Cox having a shot deflected for a corner having been set up by Oli Bailey.  Andy Jenkinson also had a free kick saved while Bailey also came close himself.  At the other end Ryan Pryce had to save a low shot from away captain Elliot Kennedy.


Winchester however took the lead in the 13th minute when Bailey broke clear and made no mistake.


A god run by I K Hill ended up with the Bishops Cleeve goalkeeper saving with his legs as Winchester continued to dominate even though they lost Ben Williamson to injury with Adam Tomasso filling the right back role.


However both sides were reduced to 10 men after 26 minutes when a challenge by Jack Watts resulted in Adam Tomasso reacting and both players receiving their marching orders.  Tomasso's red card forced Winchester to reshuffle with I K Hill coming off and the left footed Dan King playing in the unfamiliar right back role.


Winchester still were creating the better chances with Pat Cox having one shot deflected for a corner and another effort over the crossbar, while Oli Bailey put in a cross that no-one was able to get a decisive touch to.


However suddenly at the end of the half Bishops Cleeve began to come into the game with Ryan Pryce blocking Charlie Pryce's effort, while Ben Hands had one powerful effort that was over the crossbar and the same player was also denied by a goal-line clearance by Jamie Barron with Pryce beaten.


The second half was end to end and Cox and Bailey had good chances to score a second.  Howsever Joe Bates had on a couple of occasions cone close to levelling the scores scored at close range after a poor clearance which was becoming an increasing feature of the reshuffled Winchester defence.


The game remained very open with both teams having chances to score a second with Bailey and Cox having chances for Winchester and Kennedy coming the closest of all when his effort hit the post and the visitors had a few other well struck efforts that fortunately for Winchester were just off target.


It seemed that the game would finish 1-1, but in the final minute of added on time Winchester won a corner and Bailey got the all important touch from Carr's ball into the box.


Winchester who had a couple of youngsters on the bench travel to Yate on Saturday, and on the following Tuesday are at home to Swindon Supermarine.









Club sponsors